Sunday, April 12, 2009

The road to restoration.

I've been a little lax on posting just recently due in part to moving home and secondly, well - we have had a spell of reasonable spring weather here in the UK and that has had me outdoors a lot making space for the restoration of my old Citroen 2cv.
Shown above, (in her fetching scrapyard bought white bonnet) my old 2cv has repeatedly, and reliably travelled the length and breadth of the country. She is undaunted by sub zero temperatures, floods, or imperfect road surfaces, and we have grown so fond of this little 'ugly duckling' that it has now become part of the family. She is 22 years old now and in need of a major refit.

Here in Europe the 2cv was a common sight for over four decades. Providing no frills cheap yet reliable transport, and being great fun to drive charming the little Citroen became equally popular with all social groups.
As anyone who has ever owned on will tell you, the main downside is rust,. 2cv's are made of very thin steel and when rust takes hold they are prone to disolve before your very eyes!

Unfortunately my car has also rusted out beyond reasonable repair but I have been lucky enough to find a complete replacement bodyshell that is pretty sound apart from some minor fire damage to the interior (shown below).
The plan is to strip my old bodyshell off, repair or replace various tired components of the running gear, and finally repaint and rebuild the car in time for next summer.

I have never attempted anything like this before, although I have tinkered around with old cars now and then in the past. The work will take around a year, mainly due to costs as I can't affort to go out and buy everything needed for the rebuild at one time.

I have discovered a classic car blogsite that enables me to follow the progress of other classic fans as they rebuild their own cars and post the results, this gives me great encouragement as I love to see old cars saved and restored stage by stage.
The pictures below are of a Triumph sports car currently under restoration by the owner, these are photo's from his own blog.


Check out the other resto-blogs here at 'my classic car restoration'

No comments: